Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Six Whole Weeks!

July 22, 2013

I can't believe it's already the end of my first transfer, and that I've been here in Moncks Corner for six weeks. Time has flown by, but it's amazing to look back and see how much has happened. The most amazing thing is to see the relationships that I've developed with people so quickly. I love the people here, especially the members. They're pretty awesome.

We've had a very good week, although there have definitely been highs and lows. Just about every day this week someone that we had planned to visit hasn't been available, so our plans have had to completely change, but somehow we always have ended up exactly where we needed to be. There have just been so many good moments this week where we've run into someone or gone to visit someone that needed us right then. For example, we went to visit a less active member, Sister Dehey, one night. Sister Winsor had written down a scripture that she wanted to share with her, but she wrote it down wrong and couldn't remember what it was. So she just pulled out her Book of Mormon, flipped to a random page, put her finger on a verse and read it. It was a verse in 3 Nephi, about the Nephites going to war, and when she first read it I thought "What can she do with that? How could that possibly apply to Sister Dehey?" But Sister Winsor talked a little bit about what the verse said, and then Sister Dehey said that she had really needed to hear that, and that it really applied to something she was dealing with at the moment. It was pretty cool.

We were also able to get out to Eutawville this Saturday. It's about a 45 minute drive from where we live and since we're pretty limited on miles we can't get out there unless a member takes us, and luckily someone was willing to. We had a referal from mormon.org that we needed to contact. Going all the way out there made me realize how huge our area is. I've probably only been to about 35% of our area, it's so big. Eutawville is an interesting place. It kind of reminded me of a country version of the Bronx, if that makes sense. It's kind of run down and we were basically the only white people there. Luckily we were able to catch the referral at home, another huge miracle, and she was interested in hearing more so we're going back next week. Sister Morris, the member we went with, took us to get ice cream afterward. There's a really good ice cream place, called The Twirl. Sister Morris says next week after the appointment we're getting hamburgers there. I'm looking forward to it.

It has been so rainy here. Wednesday night we had a particularly bad storm just as we were heading home for dinner. It was raining so hard it was like we were driving underwater. We could not see at all. I was so glad Sister Winsor was driving. I think driving in a rain storm like that is way worse than driving in a blizzard. We had stopped at a fast food place, Zaxbys, and were going to go home and eat, but when we were almost to our apartment, there was a big tree lying across the road and on the power lines. So we went to the church instead. The church parking lot was basically a lake. But luckily it cleared up about an hour later.

It's great to hear that Spencer's team did so well at state. I'm sad I missed it. And I'm glad that y'all (yes I say that now, I can't help it, it just happens) had a good time at Draper Days. I love all of you.

P.S. This is my favorite church sign I saw this week- "Sin burn is prevented by Son screen."


No comments:

Post a Comment