Sunday, July 7, 2013

Moncks Corner II, Great and Challenging

It's been a great week here in Moncks Corner [June 23-July 1, 2013], although it's definitely been challenging in a lot of ways. 

We spent most of this week out in different areas tracting. We normally drive out to an area, then walk as much as we can to conserve our car miles. So I've done a lot of walking this week. I'm starting to get a watch tan line, as well as an interesting tan line on my feet from my shoes. I think I'm about as tan as I've every been in my life, which isn't really saying much. I've been good about putting on sunscreen though, so I haven't been sunburned at all. And Sister Winsor is good about reminding me to drink lots of water, which is very important. 

We met a few people this week who've seemed interested in hearing more from us, but we haven't been able to get a hold of any of them yet. And I'm pretty sure that the one investigator we taught a lesson to last week avoided us when we went back to talk to her, which was disappointing. I'm learning a lot about how to be optimistic and hopeful from all this though.

I also experienced my first real rain storm on Thursday. We were up tracting in Pinopolis when it rained. The way that it rains in South Carolina is very sudden. It will start to sprinkle and then you have about thirty seconds before it's raining hard. And it absolutely poured on Thursday. Even though we had umbrellas, everything from the top of my skirt down was soaked in a few minutes. It was great though. I loved it. We also had a very cute beagle dog follow us around for about two hours that day. She just wouldn't leave us alone, even when it started raining. It rained hard for about two hours, so we were really wet by the time we got home. But it was fun.

Sunday is quickly becoming my favorite day of the week. It's so nice to be able to sit in church and be around people that have the same beliefs as you. I really like church now. And this past Sunday was great because several less active members showed up to church, including some that we'd stopped and visited earlier in the week, which was so exciting for me. Now we just have to keep them coming. 

Sunday was also great because we got to have dinner with the bishop and his family, which was very fun, and we also got to watch the fireside on missionary work. I loved that fireside. It was so good. And what they said about members being involved in missionary work is so true and so important. It's something that Sister Winsor and I will be working on in the near future, because I think that will really make the difference with the progress of our work out here, or anywhere.

I was reminded of a quote that Grandma Terry has hanging on her wall-
 
Most putts don't drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old-time rail journey- delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.
 
I made a missionary version, and I think it pretty much sums up what I've learned this week-
 
Most doors don't open. Most people say no. Most investigators decide not to change. Most successful companionships require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most days are more often dull than otherwise. A mission is like an old-time rail journey- delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment