Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Fourth of July

It's been a very busy week out here. This Wednesday [July 3, 2013] was Sisters Conference, which was up in Irmo, which is about two hours away. It's an all day meeting where we get training specifically for sisters. It was a really wonderful meeting, I loved it. All the sisters from my mission were there. It was so good to see the sisters that were in my district in the MTC, I've missed them. They're all doing well and loving their areas.

Thursday, the 4th of July, was really fun as well. We had our Zone Training Meeting, ZTM, so I got to meet all the missionaries in my zone for the first time. We had a good time together, and people gave some very good trainings which were really helpful for Sister Winsor and me. Since it was the 4th of July, President Holm asked us to be back at our apartments by six. It was strange to be home so early. Sister Winsor and I didn't really know what to do with ourselves. South Carolina has no restrictions on fireworks, so it sounded like a war zone outside.

We also had a very interesting experience Saturday night [July 6]. We were visiting a part-member family, an older couple, she's a member and he's not. One of their neighbors showed up at their door with a rat that they had found, one of their other neighbors had moved a few months ago and left all his animals behind, and somehow this rat had survived. The Stanleys took the rat, gave her a bath, found her a cage and some food and in fifteen minutes the rat was clean, had food and a nice new home. It was really cool to watch. Sister Winsor named the rat Beatrice.

We found some very promising investigators this week. We knocked on a door, the 13 year old son let us in because he thought we were girl scouts selling cookies. His mom was on the phone, so we talked with him for awhile. He told us his uncle was dying, and literally had hours to live so his mom was on the phone setting up funeral arrangements. Eventually she got off the phone and we were able to teach them the first lesson. It went so well, and she was so excited to read the Book of Mormon and she promised us that she'd be at church with her son on Sunday. Sadly, they didn't show up on Sunday, which was so disappointing. We went by to see them after church and caught her and her husband just as they were about to leave to go be with their family, since the uncle had died. She didn't tell us why she wasn't at church, and she didn't seem as interested in talking to us as she had before, but she agreed to let us come by next week, after the funeral. Hopefully, she's still willing to listen and interested in what we share. So, Sunday was not the best day.

Today's been very fun though [July 8]. Sister Winsor and I went to the Salvation Army and did some shopping. I got a hoodie, a shirt and two skirts all for $9. It was a lot of fun. We enjoyed ourselves. Unfortunately, my camera's stopped working and I'm not really sure what to do about that. [This is why we don't have photos from South Carolina.] 

This week's been the first time that I've really felt homesick at all. The 4th of July was a little sad, just because I knew what you all would be doing, but apparently you didn't end up doing much of the traditional stuff so that makes me feel a little better.  

We're working hard out here and doing our best, and I know that it's going to pay off soon. We just have to find the people that are ready to accept the gospel now. I love you all, and I hope you're doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment