Monday, July 15, 2013

Confidence Booster


July 15, 2013

It's been a long week. I can barely remember what happened last Monday. It feels like forever ago. I went on my first exchange on Tuesday with the sister training leaders for our zone, Sister Bean and Sister Prior. Sister Winsor went down to Goose Creek with Sister Prior and Sister Bean came up to Moncks Corner with me. I was really nervous about it. I didn't feel ready to have Sister Winsor leave me. I still don't feel like I know the area very well, or the people. Sister Winsor knows everyone pretty well, since she's been here almost four months, but I feel like I barely know anyone. But since I was the one who knew the area, I was going to have to be the person who decided what we did and who we met with on the exchange. It ended up going really well. Sister Bean is great, we got along really well. And I really surprised myself by how well I was able to talk to people. We taught a few older kids in the ward who were recently baptized last month, and it actually went really well and I did most of the talking. And with other leads and less actives that we visited I was able to do most of the talking as well. I was surprized. The exchange was definitely a good thing. It was a huge confidence booster for me, because it helped me understand that I can take the lead and talk to people and decide where we should go. It gave me that push that I'd been needing to really get that, because I'd tried to get more involved before, but every time I'd get stuck, I'd just let Sister Winsor save me. But then I couldn't lean on her, so I had to figure it out. So it was good. I learned a lot and also had a lot of fun with Sister Bean.

We also had zone conference this Friday. They combined both the Charleston zones, so there were about 40 missionaries there. It was a really inspirational meeting and Sister Winsor and I got lots of ideas about how to be more effective that we're trying to figure out how to use. I was also part of a couple musical numbers, which was fun. And President Holm rode a unicycle at one point. It was a fun day.

We had dinner with a member almost every day this past week, so I feel like I've eaten a lot of food lately. The ward loves to feed us. Now we're just trying to get them to love giving us referrals as much as they love giving us food. Members here are willing to come with us to teaching appointments, but since we have so few of those what we really need is referrals. Sister Winsor and I have a plan that we've started to work on and we're going to start working with a couple families this week. We'll see how it goes, it's probably going to take awhile before anything starts to happen, but we can be persistent.

It's been raining so much down here. Even though we didn't get a hurricane like they were predicting for awhile, we still got a ton of rain. People are saying it's the wettest summer they can remember. I'm happy about all the rain, it makes it cooler.

I hope you're all doing well. Thanks for all the letters, they really mean a lot to me. I love hearing about what's happening at home. I love you all. I'm really happy to be out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment