Monday, March 31, 2014

Middle

This week has gone by so quickly, just like this transfer has flown by. Sister McNeece and I will be staying together for another transfer here in Easley. I'm glad I get to stay; I wasn't ready to leave quite yet, and Sister McNeece and I are just starting to really figure out how to work together. 

A lot of our investigators are getting to the point where they're not making much progress, and it's getting to the make it or break it point with a lot of them. I think that's one of the hardest things I have to do as a missionary. It's really hard because I care about these people so much, and my companions and I have put so much effort into teaching them.  And it's not like they're unwilling to meet with us anymore; they're just not willing to do anything to find out for themselves if this is true. So many people want to get their answer and then come to church, or live the Word of Wisdom, or commit to a baptism and confirmation date.  But it doesn't work like that; our Heavenly Father expects us to experiment on the word and use our faith to act, and then the confirmation comes. A lot of people don't understand that, and it's hard because when they have that attitude then there's nothing we can do for them. It's hard to know when we've done all we can, and when it's finally time to just walk away and let other missionaries go back later. But I think we're about at that point with a lot of people. But that just means that there's more people out there who are ready to accept the gospel who we need to go find. Now our big question is how we're going to find those people. Hopefully it will be through the members. That's the best way to find those who are prepared. 

The general women's meeting on Saturday was so great, I loved it. There weren't that many women at the church; since it's available online or on BYUtv, most of the members end up staying home to watch it. But there was a good amount of women at the church, and it was great because the member who gave us a ride told us afterward that before the meeting she really hadn't wanted to go.  But we asked her to take us so she came, and she got lots of answers to questions from the talks. So it was good to know we helped someone in some small way. I couldn't help thinking that it would have been a a little more fun to be with mom and grandma, but I know that that can wait till next year and for now I'm grateful to be here in Easley serving the people here. 

Thank you, Dad, for what you said about my mission not being confined to South Carolina. It's always amazing to see how our actions and decisions have such a wider impact than we realize. I'm reminded that we are surrounded by people who are prepared to receive the gospel, and we never know who they are until we reach out and ask. Members are such a big help to investigators because they give them that person to turn to, and the investigator knows that they're acting out of sincere love, and the investigators can see by the members' example how much the gospel can bless people's lives. 

I'm so grateful to be a missionary and for all the things I am experiencing and learning. And I'm grateful that I'm in the middle of my mission, where I have experience to rely on and also the knowledge that I still have a good bit of time to continue to improve and serve the Lord. Thank you all for your support; it means so much to me. I'm glad to hear that everything is going well at home, and I'm looking forward to all the exciting things I'll get to hear about in the next few months. I hope you all have a great week, I love you all! 



P.S. Sister McNeece and I went to a cemetary last Pday. The pictures are from there, one is from a memorial for the confederate dead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment