Monday, August 5, 2013

A Pretty Good Week

It's been a pretty good week here in Moncks Corner. We had a Zone Training Meeting on Thursday (August 1) in North Charleston, which was really good. Sister Winsor and I were asked to give a training on setting good goals. We only had a couple days to prepare, and I was getting a little worried about how it was going to turn out, but luckily we were able to pull it all together and I think we did a good job. 

There were some other really great trainings as well and Sister Winsor and I have been trying hard to apply them and we've begun to see more success. We've especially been trying to get specific return appointments. So often someone will agree to let us back, but then not mention a specific time and then we end up trying them again and again until we finally catch them at home. It's not very effective, so we've really been trying to ask if we can come back at a specific time. It's worked really well. We had a good lesson because of that on Friday, and we have several more appointments next week. 

There are four senior couples in our zone, and they're wonderful. They really treat us like we're their grandkids. One couple took our whole district out to lunch after the zone meeting. We went to Zaxby's, which is my favorite Southern fast food restaurant so far. Apparently they're also opening some in Utah, so I'm excited about that. 

I had an interesting food experience this week. We were eating dinner with a great older couple in the ward; they both work in the temple and he's in the bishopric and she's a ward missionary and a primary teacher. We were having hamburgers, which were really good. As we were eating Brother Langdon said, "That meat came from the field over by the high school." That kind of surprised us, and Sister Winsor said she didn't know there were cows over there. And then Brother Langdon told us that it wasn't beef, it was deer. So I had deer for the first time. It was good. I didn't recognize the difference until Brother Langdon mentioned it because he had seasoned it with onion soup mix, so I thought that was why it tasted different. 

It's finally stopped raining every single day over here, so we've been enjoying walking around in the heat and humidity. We're pretty gross and sweaty by the time we get home, but that's ok.
 
On Tuesday morning we helped a member of the ward can peaches. She's a young mom and her husband was away at scout camp so she needed some extra hands. We had a lot of fun, and the peaches were really good.  Hm, I write about food a lot, don't I? Maybe that's just because we haven't eaten lunch yet, and I'm really hungry right now. 

I'm really enjoying myself out here, even though the days sometimes seem to go on forever and I feel absolutely exhausted from the sun and the walking. But I know as we continue to work hard we'll see success, and it may not be the success we expected, but it will come. I can't believe it's already August. The summer has flown by. I love you all, and I hope everything else is going well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment