Wednesday, May 22, 2013

South Carolina Columbia


I got my mission call 8 days after my mission papers were submitted. I was in the middle of my second semester at BYU. I walked into my dorm room after work, and my roommate, Whitney, had the biggest grin on her face. She told me her mission call was here. And I was so excited for her, and then I realized that meant my mission call was probably here too, since we put in our papers at the same time. I kept my phone clasped in my hand for the next couple hours, waiting for someone in my family to get home and tell me if my call was in the mail. And finally in the middle of Foundations of Global Leadership, my mom texted me that my call had arrived. It was so strange. It didn't feel real. I knew that in a few hours I would know where I was going to serve but I couldn't believe it was actually happening. I could barely concentrate in my last two classes. After class, I practically ran back to my dorm. I let everyone know that my call was here and that I'd be opening it at 8:30 that night. I didn't want to be anywhere near my call until it was almost time to open it, so my mom didn't come get me until a little after 8:00.
A lot of people ended up coming- friends, family and lots of my neighbors and other people from the ward. I  had expected to be really emotional and cry when I opened my call, but I didn't cry at all. When I saw where I was going my first thought was "South Carolina? Really?" It was a total surprise. I really didn't know what to think. It was so unexpected. But I knew it was right. 

My roommate also opened her call that night. She was called to the Alabama Birmingham Mission. We report the same day, May 29, 2013. 



The more that I've thought about my mission call, the happier I feel about it. I know nothing about South Carolina, I don't know anyone there, but I do know that it's exactly where I need to be for the next 18 months of my life. I can't wait to get out there. 

These are the boundaries of the mission- it covers most of South Carolina, a little bit of north Georgia, and a tiny bit of North Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment